France take first step toward replacing U.S. troops in Syria
France keeps troops in Syria and launched new military patrols in the Northeast part of the country following Trump decision to withdraw U.S. troops.
Muhammad Hassan, who works as a journalist in North Syria, has released some photos of French army patrol included Nexter Aravis infantry mobility vehicles on the line of the river of Sajor separator between Manbj and Jarablus.
France is a leading member of the coalition fighting militants in Syria and Iraq and has special forces based in the north of the country.
Muhammad Hassan released footage on social media, saying: “These patrols are the first of its kind following US statements to withdraw its troops participating in the International Alliance of Syria.”
Armored vehicles of the French army on the line of the river of Sajor separator between Manbj and Jarablus this afternoon.
These patrols are the first of its kind following US statements to withdraw its troops participating in the International Alliance of Syria pic.twitter.com/uHeFjPrQgi
— MOHAMMED HASSAN (@MHJournalist) 23 December 2018
On December 20, France’s European Affairs Minister Nathalie Loiseau said that France will keep its forces in Syria, despite the U.S. decision to pull its troops out of the war-torn country.
In addition, French President Emmanuel Macron during a press conference with the Chadian President Idriss Déby, said “An ally should be dependable… I very deeply regret the decision made on Syria.”
Trump made a surprise announcement on December 19 that he would withdraw the roughly 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria, declaring that the Islamic State group had been defeated. The move was met with criticism from allies around the world.
Read more here:: Defence Blog (Land)